The UI Pentacrest Museums (Old Capitol Museum and the Museum of Natural History) and Office of the State Archaeologist are bringing some of the state’s natural and cultural treasures to communities across the state in a new Mobile Museum. Launched in April 2014, the Mobile Museum will visit schools, libraries, RAGBRAI, the Iowa State Fair, and other special events across the state.
Our educators and curators can combine mobile museum visits with education programs or speaker visits for any age group or event.
The Mobile Museum features an array of exhibits that focus on three very different eras in Iowa’s history.
- Iowa’s Ice Age Giants explores the great mammals that roamed the state during the last ice age and their sudden extinction.
- Glenwood: Iowa’s Ancient Agriculturalists tells the story of the Glenwood culture centered in the Loess Hills and their connections to the Iowa landscape through agriculture.
- Cornerstones focuses on the founding of Iowa and writing of its constitution, the building of the Old Capitol building, and the creation of the University of Iowa.
The museum also features a new interactive digital wall that allows visitors to learn about UI space research, the Santos Virtual Soldier program, and the UI Flood Center’s sophisticated flood-prediction mapping systems, as well as additional information on Iowa archaeology.
Email us at email@example.com to invite the University of Iowa Mobile Museum to your community or event!
Follow us @UIMobileMuseum
Calendar and Upcoming Events
Check out our upcoming stops on the Dare to Discover calendar. Some of our major stops this summer include:
- July 17-18: The Mobile Museum will be at the Winnebago "Out of this World" Grand National Rally in Forest City, Iowa, to show off our incredible museum in a 'Bago! To learn more about this exciting annual tradition, please visit the Grand National Rally homepage.
- July 19-26: The Mobile Museum and Team Archaeology from the Office of the State Archaeologist will ride along for RAGBRAI XLII. We will be along for stops in Rock Valley, Okoboji, Emmetsburg, Forest City, Mason City, Waverly, Independence, and Guttenburg. Keep your eyes peeled for us!
- August 7-17: The Mobile Museum will be located just inside Gate 11, at the West end of Grand Avenue, during the Iowa State Fair. Be sure to check out our Facebook and Twitter accounts for updates on our hours, activities and giveaways each day!
Images and Video