The University of Iowa Mobile Museum launched in 2014 as a partnership between the UI Vice President for Research and Economic Development, the Office of the State Archaeologist, the UI Museum of Natural History, and the Old Capitol Museum.
The Mobile Museum inspires visitors to understand the world by bringing exhibits with cutting-edge research, one-of-a-kind artifacts, and interactive digital media to Iowa’s communities statewide. We promote interdisciplinary partnerships and collaborations to present UI research and stimulate understanding, appreciation, and pride for the University of Iowa and the state.
The Mobile Museum features an array of exhibits
- Water Underground: The Science of Iowa’s Most Essential Resource introduces the chemistry of water, Iowa’s bedrock aquifer systems, and arsenic pollution in drinking water. It highlights contributions and research from the Department of Chemistry/Water Sustainability Initiative, Iowa Geological Survey, and the Center for Health Effects of Environmental Contamination.
- Hawkeyes in Space: Space Exploration at the University of Iowa highlights the UI Department of Physics and Astronomy's contributions to space exploration since the 1950s, highlighting three major events in that history: Explorer 1 in 1958, Voyager 1 in 1977, and the launch of the Van Allen probes in 2013.
- Over Here From Over There: Iowans in World War II tells the story of Iowans in World War II and shares the lives and contributions of Iowans through letters, diaries, photographs, and artifacts.
The museum also features a new interactive digital wall that allows visitors to learn about research and creative activity happening in a variety of UI units.
To plan a Mobile Museum visit, please complete this form.
If you have any questions please call (319) 335-2898 or email us at email@example.com
Calendar and Events
Check out our upcoming stops on the UI events calendar.
2015 Mobile Museum Partners
- Office of the Vice President for Research and Economic Development
- Office of the State Archaeologist
- Museum of Natural History
- Old Capitol Museum
- Center for Health Effects of Environmental Contamination
- Children’s Hospital
- College of Dentistry & Dental Clinics
- College of Education
- Dancers in Company and Arts Share
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Physics and Astronomy
- Digital Studio for the Public Arts
- HANK Virtual Environments Lab
- IIHR—Hydroscience & Engineering
- Injury Prevention Research Center
- Iowa Center for Agricultural Safety/Health
- Iowa Center for Research by Undergraduates
- Iowa Flood Center
- Iowa Geological Survey
- Iowa Print Group
- Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives
- Office of Sustainability
- State Hygienic Laboratory
- Water Sustainability Initiative
2014 Annual Report
Learn more about what we accomplished during the Mobile Museum's First Season. Click here to read the 2014 annual report online.